[ga] Revising the RAA?

Chuck,

In a recent letter to the GA list, Ross Rader directed our attention to a
provision in the registry agreement which allows the Registry Operator to
revise the terms of the Registry-Registrar Agreement (provided that any such
revisions must be approved in advance by ICANN).

As the issue of transfers of registrar sponsorship of registrations has now
been under discussion for well over a year without adequate resolution, and
whereas the advice tendered by our General Counsel in his 27 August 2001
letter to Ms. Christine Russo still has not been codified into any agreement
that is binding on all parties, can you comment on whether VeriSign Global
Registry Services might be willing to offer its leadership in spearheading a
collaborative effort to revise the Registry-Registrar Agreement to better
facilitate a resolution of this transfers issue?

I am thinking of the possibility of a registry-registrar team working in
conjunction with ICANN staff to meaningfully attack the problem.  As this is
primarily a contract issue, I don't view this proposed activity as being in
conflict with the policy development efforts of the current Names Council
transfers task force.

Best regards,
Danny Younger