[ga] Tucows Comments to the Implementation Committee on the Names Policy Development Process

(with apologies to those of you that may have received this twice)

Rita,

Please find below links to Tucows latest comments on the work of the ERC
with specifics comments directed to the work that your team is currently
engaged in. Tucows is pleased to offer these observations and
suggestions regarding the names policy development process, and in
particular on the workings of the current DNSO and its proposed
successor, the GNSO.

Tucows has previously published the Heathrow Declaration
(www.byte.org/heathrow/) and two subsequent iterations of comments and
proposals (http://www.byte.org/heathrow/comments-icann-reform-v0r1d5.doc
of June 7, 2002 and
http://www.byte.org/heathrow/icann-reform-cda-v0r0d1-062602.html of June
26, 2002. We summarize them in this latest document, to the extent they
may be still relevant to the work of the committee, and make further and
more specific suggestions as to how the future policy process can work
better. Some of our proposals are reflected in the decisions of the ERC
and the Board and need no further discussion in this paper. Others, such
as the proposal for a commercial dispute resolution policy, have neither
been taken up nor rejected, and we continue to think that the reform of
ICANN's structure should not confined to improvements to its names
policy, but should also encompass commercial dispute arbitration among
contracted parties.

Tucows Comments to the Implementation Committee on the Names Policy
Development Process;
HTML -
http://www.byte.org/heathrow/tucows-comments-icann-reform-third-v0r0d1-0
73002.htm
DOC -
http://www.byte.org/heathrow/tucows-comments-icann-reform-third-v0r0d1-0
73002.doc
PDF -
http://www.byte.org/heathrow/tucows-comments-icann-reform-third-v0r0d1-0
73002.pdf

Supporting materials can be found at http://www.byte.org/heathrow

We thank your committee and the ERC for their diligent and thoughtful
work thus far and remain committed to the evolution and reform of ICANN.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow