Re: [ga] Re: ICANN & transfers

IANAL either, but it stands to reason that ICANN can enforce its
contract with the Registry.

Therefore, if ICANN's contract with the Registry includes the
procedure to be used for transfers between Registrars, then ICANN can
enforce that issue with the Registry.  The problem of enforcement is,
therefore, the Registry's problem and they can be in breach with ICANN
if the do not ensure specific performance.

The next question, though, is what happens if the Registry is in
breach? What is the downside for the Registry? What is it that keeps
them honest? (Err - sorry. Bad choice of words.) -- What contractual
penalty gets the Registry's attention?

I haven't read the contracts and have no desire to do so. It seems to
me, though, that the relationships are convoluted. ICANN accredits
Registrars and should have a one-to-one relationship WRT their
behavior in respect to that Accreditation. The procedures
should be a part of that Accreditation instrument, and IOW, the
Registry Agreement should not be involved or the least relevant. How
much were the lawyers paid to paint you into a corner (if that is,
indeed, the case)?

The incumbent Registry seems to contribute greatly to ICANN and in
that respect it is probably difficult to bite the golden glove.  OTOH,
if no one really ever looks at the financials, including the audit
committee and other directors, then the right thing to do becomes
the sole focus.

On a different note, there are a whole lot more ultimate consumers
than there are, or ever will ever be, Registries, Registrars or ISPs.
Ignoring the grass roots and locking them out of meaningful
representation on the board, voting and participation in ICANN as an
assembly or a consistency, will eventually result in ICANN's demise.

"Let them eat cake" didn't work long ago and the Ester flip-flam
doesn't work now. You are a well educated man who has done some very
great things in your life. Why would you want to screw it all up now?

Thanks,