Re: [ga] New Research: "Registrations in Open ccTLDs"

Ben and all assembly members,

Ben Edelman wrote:

> GA members have on multiple occasions discussed registrations in open
> ccTLDs -- remarking on ccTLDs like .CC, .TV, and .WS which have opened their
> registration systems to anyone interested, worldwide.  In recent research, I
> have investigated the ways that these ccTLDs are used, placing particular
> emphasis on their apparent use and non-use, on defensive registrations, on
> warehousing, and on cybersquatting.  In my recent "Registrations in Open
> ccTLDs," I attempt to quantify each of these behaviors.
>
> I first report the number of open ccTLD web pages indexed by Google, finding
> open ccTLDs to be less than one one-hundredth as large as .COM when measured
> in this way.

  Yes this is a problem with allot of search engines as has been pointed out
some time ago on this forum and maintained on a number of occasions by
various media sources such as Wired, and CMBC..  However using google
or any search engine that I am familiar with or have used myself doesn't in
any way reflect accurately the registration of domain names in ccTLD
name spaces in comparison with .COM or even .NET...

> I next consider registration of commonly-used dictionary nouns; while many
> such domains have been registered in the tested ccTLDs, more than 80% lead
> only to placeholders or to no web content at all.

  Placeholders are in some respects a very good thing for a web based
business or future expansion of any business with a web site presence
should that expansion be planed to enter into the countries local.

> Finally, I investigate open ccTLD registrations that use the same
> second-level strings as the primary .COM domains of major corporations
> worldwide (including the Fortune 1000 and Forbes International 500).  Again,
> many such domains have been registered, and more than two thirds of such
> registrations are by registrants other than the registrant of the
> corresponding .COM.

  This is of course good news!  FCFS seem to be working well if your research
is accurate.

> Indeed, the web content and WHOIS data of sampled
> domains provide evidence both of substantial defensive registrations and of
> substantial cybersquatting.

  I suppose this statement as part of your research would directly depend
on the randomness or the domains you sampled.  As you do not show
or state any use of random sampling as is generally considered
a standard for accurate sampling data results, I would have to
therefore conclude that this statement is relatively worthless as
any kind of a accurate reflection of any kind.

> My full report is available at
>   <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/open-cctlds/>.
>
> Ben Edelman
> Berkman Center for Internet & Society
> Harvard Law School
> http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/edelman

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827