[ga] Re: On Constituencies

Vint,

I have an issue that I would like to discuss with you...

There are some groups that actively discuss policy matters.

Today alone there must have been at least 60 comments on the registrars list
regarding WLS.
The GA always participates (with hundreds of comments posted on this topic
over the course of many months).
The Public Forum also contains hundreds of comments as well.

On the other hand, there haven't been ANY member comments at all regarding
WLS on the IPC list.
No comments whatsoever are to be found on the Non-Com list (and this covers
several months).
The ISP archives always return "Page not Found", and the members of the
Business Constituency almost never have anything to say (which is probably
why they don't publicly archive their list).

To conduct a "voting" session of the Names Council when so many
constituencies can't justify the position of their membership (since
literally no discussion has taken place) in my view does not serve the best
interests of the Corporation.

Such a vote cannot possibly represent a "consensus" of the community.

If the constituency approach is flawed to such a degree, with members of many
constituencies almost never discussing the day-to-day "work" of ICANN, then
what is there to truly favor the continuation of this particular constituency
approach within the GNSO?

Such non-participation is a major problem that warrants a fresh solution of
the type first proposed by Stuart.

I still see merit in the proposal put forward by the gTLDs that registries,
registrars and registrants be organized in their own SO (with the other
constituencies operating as Forums outside the SO structure).  As these other
constituencies rarely seem to bring anything to the table that can be
justified by actual member comments, this strikes me as an appropriate reform
measure.

I need to ask:  Are we "locked in" to the initial recommendations of the ERC,
or is there still room to consider more pragmatic solutions?