Re: [ga] On constituencies

Karl, Danny and all assembly members,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > In the Blueprint for Reform, you correctly noted that some constituencies may
> > cease to be active which might necessitate a change in the size of the
> > Council.  As I have noted the increasing level of inactivity within your own
> > Non-Commercial Constituency lately, I would ask what criteria the Board would
> > use to arrive at a decision to decertify an existing constituency.
>
> Since every "constituency" is represented either by a government or by
> individual people who could be part of the so-called ALAC, we ought to
> follow the advice of the GA's past chair and current chair of the IETF, to
> abolish the constituency structure altogether.

  I agree with you on this Karl.  As I recall Harald was certainly not
the first to make such a recommendation either.  I believe that honor
belongs to Roeland Mayer, no longer a participant on the DNSO GA
or even with any ICANN related activities as a result of this very
same recommendation in part...

> With the elimination of last pretenses of public participation within
> ICANN it is time to eliminate the privileges that have been given to those
> few selected interests that are euphemistically called "constituencies".

  Euphemistically called, is oh so correct.  The COnstituency model
could have worked had the ICANN BOD and staff not limited
it so severally.  But they have and did, so as a result and over some
time now too much water is passed under the bridge, so to speak,
and the restricted constituency model has failed.

> The idea of "constituencies" was wrong from the first.

  Well maybe not wrong, but certainly not done openly,
transparently and therefore a dismal mess and failure.

>                 --karl--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827