Re: [ga] Deletions, state of the art

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, at 17:14 [=GMT+0200], Alexander Svensson wrote:

> now I can finally add my own experience with deletions
> -- but in a ccTLD environment...
>
> A while ago, I deleted two .de domain names I no longer
> needed with my ISP. Today, I received a letter from DENIC,
> the German ccTLD registry. DENIC is alerting me to the fact
> that my provider is no longer paying the fees for my
> domain names. I have now four weeks to choose whether
> (1) I really want to delete the domain, (2) I want to choose
> a different "registrar" (actually a DENIC member provider)
> or (3) I want to use DENIC's own domain service DENICdirect.
> (DENIC is not barred from offering end user service, but
> they offer bare registration, no hosting, no name servers;
> in order not to compete with the "registrars", the
> DENICdirect service is a high price service).
>
> With the letter I received a brochure explaining all the
> necessary steps and a personal password which I can use
> to transfer or delete the domain name online, using
> http://transit.denic.de. If I don't act until the 7th
> of August, I *still* retain my domain name, only that it
> is automatically transferred to DENICdirect.

And what happens then? Will it ever be released? When?

> Hats off. It would be a sorry thought if people really
> started taking out WLS options on their *own* domain name
> just because the com/net registry/registrar system is
> not safe for registrants.

Well, I have never received any notice from Verisign registrY. Anyone?

To add another ccTLD to the experience list: In my ccTLD, NL, one does not
receive a message from the registry when one deletes a domain. Also it is
unclear to the old registrant when the domain will exactly be deleted. It
seems to depend on when the registrar deletes the domain.