[ga] Deletions, state of the art

Dear all,

now I can finally add my own experience with deletions
-- but in a ccTLD environment...

A while ago, I deleted two .de domain names I no longer
needed with my ISP. Today, I received a letter from DENIC,
the German ccTLD registry. DENIC is alerting me to the fact
that my provider is no longer paying the fees for my
domain names. I have now four weeks to choose whether
(1) I really want to delete the domain, (2) I want to choose
a different "registrar" (actually a DENIC member provider)
or (3) I want to use DENIC's own domain service DENICdirect.
(DENIC is not barred from offering end user service, but
they offer bare registration, no hosting, no name servers;
in order not to compete with the "registrars", the
DENICdirect service is a high price service).

With the letter I received a brochure explaining all the
necessary steps and a personal password which I can use
to transfer or delete the domain name online, using
http://transit.denic.de. If I don't act until the 7th
of August, I *still* retain my domain name, only that it
is automatically transferred to DENICdirect.

Hats off. It would be a sorry thought if people really
started taking out WLS options on their *own* domain name
just because the com/net registry/registrar system is
not safe for registrants.

Best regards,
/// Alexander