Re: [ga] At-Large

Thomas and all assembly members,

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2002-07-07 20:47:57 -0500, Don Brown wrote:
>
> >There could have been legal reasons or other reasons why Karl was
> >a no-show.  He can be his own spokesman.
>
> Of course.  I'm still waiting for his _public_ expanation, though.

  I think you mean "Explanation" here not "explanation".  In any
event should you check the archives, as I just did again today on
this non-issue, you will find that Karl announced that he would
not be attending Bucharest and why he would not be as well.

> >However, even if Karl had been present, it is extremely doubtful
> >to me that the outcome would have been any different.
>
> Probably, yes.  Still, given Karl's analysis that a "fully empowered
> membership is entirely feasible", and that it all happened because
> "people ... kept creeping backwards", I'm wondering very much why he
> should give up.  (In particular, he could at least have remvoed the
> word "unanimous" from the public reports.)

  I don't think, nor do I see any evidence that Karl has given
up on anything to date.

> >Incidentally, Thomas, how much debate and energy did the GA's
> >Chair offer in favor of a continued GA voice in ICANN? Did you
> >attend the meeting or make any other effort to participate in it -
> >in support of the GA, of course?
>
> To begin with, the GA's chair and alt.chair don't even get expenses
> to attend meetings, call into meetings, or call into telephone
> conferences.  Directors do.

  Well the GA Chair at least should have these expenses paid for
out of ICANN's budget.  However the fact that Stuart Lynn
some time ago now, decided that ICANN cannot afford to
even fund the DNSO GA is of course where this problem
lies.  And as well, the fact that the DNSO GA cannot
legally raise it's own funds, for reasons that are a bit
odd to say the least, has been debated vigorously
on several occasions on the DNSO GA list, as you
should know Thomas...

> Salzburg seminar funding was also not available this time, so
> Alexander went to Bucharest on his own cost.  I didn't, for a
> variety of reasons.
>
> Further, both Alexander and I have been spending countless hours
> (and transatlantic phone calls - no expenses for that, either) on
> trying to convince the Names Council that the GA can indeed
> contribute reasonably - note that the Council will ultimately be the
> institution which decides what the GA will look like in the future -
> the E&R blueprint mostly sets directions for that - by trying to
> demonstrate that the GA can constructively contribute to the DNSO's
> work.  I do think that at least some constituencies begin to
> understand that the DNSO would lose something important by killing
> the GA, or by restricting access to the GA to constituency members.

  Restricting the GA is in violation of the DNSO GA's own voted upon
mandate as well as not in keeping with the White Paper and the MoU.
The ICANN BoD and staff in particular know this all to well...

> Note that I don't mention votes: I'm still convinced that it's not
> a good idea to have the GA vote secretly on actual issues.  Use open
> polls instead, and most of the problems go away.

  Well the DNSO GA members disagrees with you on this issue
Thomas.  Which in part makes you not a good GA Chair, IMHO.

> --
> Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827