[ga] FYI FOr the NC-Transfer: Verisign deviltry? Its reply to a customer who wants to leave

All assembly members and/or other stakeholders or interested parties,

  The following is from Politech:

==============Copy starts here ===========
Subject: FC: Verisign deviltry? Its reply to a customer who wants to
leave
   Date:  Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:43:03 -0400
   From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
     To:  politech@politechbot.com

---

From: "Thomas Leavitt" <thomasleavitt@hotmail.com>
To: declan@well.com
Subject: Fwd: [NIC-020704.4568] Your Registrar Transfer Request
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 18:44:13 -0700

Declan,

I thought you might be interested in seeing how Verisign responds to
a  registrar change request... you get what appears to be a junk mail
that, if you don't read the fine print on, and just delete, will result
in a
denial of the transfer request. I almost did this myself.

The actual instructions on how to confirm the transfer request are
buried  in the "signature" portion of the email... pretty scuzzy in my
opinion - this is an email they're obligated to send, I think,
therefore, the
actual functional part of the email should be a lot more visible and
clear.

When you go to the "stayoffer.com" URL, you get redirected to

https://www.netsol.com/en_US/promotions/offers/renewals/renewal-7.jhtml?siteid=100&channelid=P47C100S169N0B10A8D157V1&clickid=1000000000

... where Verisign drops its pants and offers to let you renew your
domain for just $15/year with a two year renewal term... significantly
less
than the $35/year list price.

Of course, by that point, I'd already paid the 12 euro non-refundable
fee to have gandi.net host it, and I'm happy with them, so it wasn't any

use to me. But it might be of use to those folk who need to renew their
domains and want to stay with Verisign. :)

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

--
Thomas Leavitt -- thomasleavitt@hotmail.com, Sr. Systems Admin For
Hire

Wired since 1981. Internet-enabled since 1990. Web-enabled since
1993.
Older, wiser, and poorer, post-crash. :)

Personal Home Page and Resume:
http://www.internetmanifesto.org/resume/

Like Politech? Make a donation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/donate/

================  End of Copy from Politech ===============

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827