RE: [ga] OECD vs ICANN, re: WHOIS accuracy

I have one thing to add to this debate, in answer to the argument often
cited in relation to "real property" reporting requirements. The argument
goes like this (usually trotted out by William Walsh)....details of property
ownership are in the public domain, hence the WHOIS requirement for domain
names should be no different.

Well, as somebody who has been earning their living from running a
successful real property business on more than one continent for more than 2
decades, allow me to disagree. There is no comparison.

On the one hand, there is a need for real time access to info of Domain name
ownership, on the other, there is no real time requirement - and if there
were, it would not take many months for the public registers of who owns
what to become publicly available, as is the case throughout the world.
There is no Real Time database available for real property. Period.

As a practical business matter, this means that the Real Estate Industry
simply does not rely on legal reporting requirements in order to gain either
a) competitive advantage or b) a database of prospective clients or even c)
comparables.

Let's face it, the push for WHOIS accuracy is simply related to businesses
that obviously feel they cannot survive as do businesses in other
industries, which is, we acquire our information by keeping our ear to the
ground. Accuracy takes too long, and we don't expect coddling to survive.
Obviously WXW and his want it delivered on a plate with guarantees of
accuracy. Get real.

Regards,
Joanna