Re: [ga] OECD vs ICANN, re: WHOIS accuracy

Allan,

With respect, I think you are missing the point.  Karl is pointing out
that there *is* choice and indeed you are free to point to whatever root
servers/systems/databases you choose. That....is the point. It is
edge-controlled.

Remember the tcp/ip  dominated internet that we take for granted is
relatively new in internet time.  People chose...to fold things into one
basket and before they did....simple tasks that we take for granted,
like getting mail delivered to any internet address...used to sometimes
be non-trivial problems if they involved traversing boundaries.

Allan Liska wrote:

> Hello Karl,
>
> Sunday, July 07, 2002, 3:36:25 PM, you wrote:
>
> KA> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Allan Liska wrote:
>
> >> I would like to suggest an alternative to the legal contact though.
> >> If the goal is to reach someone responsible for the domain
>
> KA> May I suggest that you are making an assumption that DNS names are
> KA> unambiguous.
>
> KA> If you get foo.biz - how do you know where to look?
>
> KA> Remember, there are at least *two* .biz top level domains and you don't
> KA> know which one is being used.  (By-the-way, I use the non-ICANN version of
> KA> .biz)
>
> DNS names are not ambiguous to me.  The vast majority of the
> population on the Internet use the domains supported by the root/gtld
> name servers.  Those are certainly the ones I use, and do not intend
> to use any others.  If you would prefer to have a domain in an
> alternate root, you are certainly welcome to do so, I just don't have
> any interest in finding out any information about your domain.  So, if
> I want to know something about foo.biz, I will use the database
> maintained by NeuStar.
>
> KA> You are trying to saddle authenticity onto a system that is not
> KA> unambiguous and is subject to easy forgery.
>
> I'm not trying to saddle anything.  The system is already in place, I
> just happen to agree that maintaining good whois data is important.
> Having spent several years in a help desk environment I can say that I
> used whois on a daily basis as part of troubleshooting, and tracking
> down problems.
>
> KA> And the horse you are trying to saddle ran out of the barn a long time
> KA> ago: DNS is not a mandatory system - one need not use it at all.  There
> KA> are other naming systems (NIS, WINS, etc).  And there are multiple DNS
> KA> systems.  And naked IP addresses often work very nicely -
> KA> http://199.184.128.35/tmp/12345.htm
>
> While your HTTP example does work I bet I cannot send an e-mail to
> allan@66.150.201.102 -- even if you can, most people cannot, and
> e-mail is the most used application on the Internet.  As far as WINS
> and NIS, neither are in widespread use for WAN communication, and I
> don't see any reason why they would ever be, so the fact that they
> exist is relatively pointless.
>
> I think your point is valid, DNS is not mandatory system, neither is
> registering a domain.  If you do not want to have your information
> publicly available, and you don't like some of the alternatives
> proposed, don't register a domain name -- or use an alternate root
> which does not have the same stringent requirements.
>
> allan
> --
> allan
> allan@allan.org