Re: [ga] Grace and Redemption

Friday, June 28, 2002, 3:56:29 PM, L. Gallegos <jandl@jandl.com> wrote:
LG> My point is that the registrant has to use the email address to contact
LG> the system in order to verify the transaction (email verification).
<SNIP>
LG> Leah

Not necessarily. There are Registrars who provide web based control
panels, i.e. Tucows, eNom, VeriSign, et al, and don't authenticate via
an e-mail address. In fact, we were notified by VeriSign that they are
dropping their e-mail template interface in the very near future.

I recently renewed a new customer's expired domain name by going to
VeriSign's site and using my personal credit card. I did not have to
authenticate. All that was required was to know the domain name and
pay the fee.

There are valid business reasons for Registrars and Resellers to make
it extremely easy for a customer to renew and it is likely that most,
if not all, of them have figured that out. In fact, I wonder just how
many Registrar's today are using some kind of e-mail authentication
system as a pre-requisite to renewing a domain name. Do you or anyone
else know? My guess is there isn't many, if any.

Granted, the above renewal example didn't fix the probable problem
with outdated or erroneously information, but it did prevent the
domain name from being deleted. Isn't that the objective of the RGP?

If the Registrant doesn't remember the identity of their Registrar or
Reseller, doesn't know how to use WhoIs to determine that and doesn't
have enough common sense to contact someone who might have a tad more
saavy, then I think we have identified an extreme situation and an
extremely infrequent one.

I think the RGP is intended to provide uniformity, hopefully it will
have a positive affect on the domain name hoarding issue, but the
primary intent of it is to notify registrants, through non-resolution,
that their domain name is in an expired state.

OTOH, the RGP will not prevent "every" domain name from being deleted,
in opposition to the Registrant's wishes. However, there is a
practical limit to what can be done and I don't think anyone is really
in favor of adding cost to the system by hunting those mosquitos with
Howitzers, mortars or even 00 buckshot. Consequently, I think that
William Walsh's statement about "coddling them" was really an
understatement.

Thanks,

LG> On 28 Jun 2002, at 13:54, Dan Steinberg wrote:

>> I have to agree. If your phone gets disconnected, it doesnt matter if
>> its because you 'thought you had paid' but hadnt or if its turly telco
>> error or lost cheque.  You still have to go visit a neighbour, or use a
>> cell phone or trundle down to find a pay phone just to establish what
>> the problem is and see if you have to do something (like pay). It's your
>> repsonisibility to find a way to do this.
>>
>> William X Walsh wrote:

>> > Personal Responsibility.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best regards,
>> > William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
>> > --
>> > Save Internet Radio!
>> > CARP will kill Webcasting!
>> > http://www.saveinternetradio.org/
>> >
>> > --
>> > This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
>>
>> --
>> Dan Steinberg
>>
>> SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
>> 35, du Ravin          phone: (613) 794-5356
>> Chelsea, Quebec               fax:   (819) 827-4398
>> J9B 1N1                 e-mail:synthesis@videotron.ca
>> --
>> This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.
>>

LG> --
LG> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----