[ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] news from bucharest: at large exists again

Vittorio and all,

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Dear fellow members,
>
> it is worth noting that since five minutes ago, as per Lyman Chapin's
> proposed amendment to the Blueprint exposed while presenting it to the
> public forum, the At Large concept exists again, though with very limited
> prerogatives if compared to the original election of half of the Board.

  The At-Large has existed all along.  What the ICANN BOD and particularly
the ICANN staff have been trying to do is emasculate it to the point of being
nearly worthless and thereby eliminate bottoms-up requirement of the
contractual obligations in the White Paper and MoU...

> I am
> sure that many of us will complain about this or consider it just a fig
> leaf, but for those (very few) of us who actually bothered to come here to
> Bucharest and spend the last days lobbying for this to happen, it is
> definitely a great achievement, at least as a starting point.

  Many of us have been around long before you were ever involved
Vittorio, so if I were you I wouldn't pat myself on the back to
much, while at the same time berate active participants that have
been participating for far longer than you have...

> We'll have to discuss (I imagine, very hardly) in the next days whether this
> proposed role (an At Large Advisory Committee similar to the GAC and the
> other ACs) suits us, whether it is acceptable, or whether we should refuse
> to participate in it and try to overturn ICANN as a whole. But at least,
> this is a huge step forward if compared to the "nothing" of the Blueprint
> document.

  Either ICANN is revamped through a Rebid or it allows for the
implementation of and At-Large, that it once had that will elect 51%
of the Board members, can put forth resolutions/motions on
or related to issues, and is open to any and all stakeholders
or other interested parties..  It'sjust that simple...

> --
> .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
> Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220
> Vitaminic [The Music Evolution] - Vice President for Technology
>
> DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
> addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
> Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
> immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827