Re: [ga] Taxation without Representation etc.,

On 07:00 26/06/02, William X Walsh said:
>Tuesday, June 25, 2002, 9:47:06 PM, John Palmer wrote:
> > China
>Stick to facts and things you can prove, otherwise you are wasting
>everyone's time with your alt.root garbage here.

Dear WXW,
I am afraid your hate to the "alt.roots" lead you to two mistakes here.

1. in calling them "alt.root" (and I acknowledge that some are calling
themselves this way) you prevent yourself from an analysis of the true
nature of the network, of the DNS architecture and of the ways we shoukd
use it today. I do not think that sectarian point of view may ever lead to
a peaceful, opened, stable, secure, consensual approach - even if they
happened to be true.

2. the real example is not that much China. The real example is USA. Please
understand that you are an US user and always used the Internet. I am an
European user, we created the Intlnet and we delegated the Internet its
namespace. I accept it is a different perspective.

I am impressed by two things :

- up to now - except the 7 new TLDs they seemingly partly regret - that
delegation (documented in Oct 1984 by Jon Postel in the RFC 920) has been
stable to the point that our understanding has not known a single change
over 18 years and you obviously stringly want to keep the ARPA namespace
strictly the way we delegated it.

- it is now used by the entire world, yet it has not adapted. TCP/IP is
unchanged. IPv4 is still 255 blocks. The arpa domain has still 255 (+7)
TLDs. The DNS is still used to control the use of the network and to fund
it, rather than to support it, along with the Whois university related
fields. In that sense the USG's arpa part of the International datanetwork
system is an outdated, confuse, unstable, insecure and over crowded system.
Like an old third world railway packed with people.

I think there are urgent patches, just to make that old system survive. For
example, to survive KPNQuest, Al-Queida, ICANN ...This is not disruptive,
this is urgent.

Please recall I was joked at on Sept 8th when I asked, in my Montevideo BoD
candidacy speech, that  the US ten (East Coast six) root server systems be
internationally disseminated.

I now ask for the root system to be co-European/Asian mirrored and
privately co-operated under public and legal control with mutual real-time
consistency checking, the Verisign ATLAS and their multinational plug-in to
be under GPL, the protocol, root and RIR registrations to be performed by a
joint ITU/ICANN secretariat.

jfc