RE: [ga] Taxation without Representation etc.,

The internet is a medium for communication - all kinds, not just the
www. It is a network of networks and is not centralized, although the few
dominant commercial powers would like to control the DNS totally and
exclude individuals and small networks from any meaningful input or
use.  Domain names are used for a great deal more than the www, but
the www seems to now be the only factor considered.

It is most interesting to find that many networks, including governments,
are moving toward their own systems (roots and networks), which may
have a negative impact on inclusion.  Some have goine out of their way
to include all networks and ignore ICANN because of its exclusionary
tactics.

ICANN may well succeed in excluding many from the USG DNS root,
but may also succeed in losing its credibility totally in the long run.  It is
not a win/win for ICANN, certainly, and ICANN means lose/lose to the
individual and general internet community - especially if you include the
academics, developing countries and non-commercial aspects.

Leah