Re: [ga] Taxation without Representation etc.,

Tuesday, June 25, 2002, 10:12:30 AM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> All,

> Here's the latest from news.com:

> http://news.com.com/2100-1023-939061.html

> These are the kinds of articles the public interest needs in the
> mainstream media... my only question:  Why the hell haven't the
> mainstream media people spoken up about ICANN's questionable activities
> in the past?

I really hate ignorant reporting, especially from those reporting on
the tech industry.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
EU officials also said they would prefer that the U.S. Department of
Commerce, the government body that spawned ICANN in 1998, relinquish
control of the root-server system, a master control database of
Internet sites that ensures that Web traffic gets to its intended
destination..

The fear is that in the wrong hands the enormous database could be
mined to determine all comings and goings on the Internet. Although
there is no evidence that this has happened, the issue has attracted
added attention in recent months as law-enforcement officials seek to
shore up defenses against feared acts of cyberterrorism.

The root zone doesn't need to be mined, it is public.  There is no
sane reason to not have it public, and that last paragraph is just
plain ignorance.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>