[ga] Survey of Usage of the .BIZ TLD

Working with Professor Zittrain of the Harvard Law School, I have recently
examined a variety of data about registrations in Neulevel's .BIZ TLD.  Our
major findings are as follows:

* At least 74% of currently registered .BIZ domains provide no web content
or provide only error messages or placeholders.

* Approximately 25% of .BIZ registrations are registered to the same
organization that registered the corresponding .COM, and such domains are
about one-third less likely to provide substantive web content than domains
registered by someone without a corresponding .COM registration.

* A large number of .BIZ domains fail to comply with .BIZ registry
anti-warehousing policies, suggesting that such policies are not being
effectively enforced.

* Registrar market shares vary substantially between .BIZ and other TLDs;
while the largest .COM, .NET, and .ORG registrars have large shares of .BIZ,
certain other registrars also service many .BIZ names.

Our work to date is available at
   <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/tlds/001/>

Benjamin Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society