Re: [ga] Verisign now auctioning off dot-cc names on eBay

On 2002-06-20 13:57:36 -0700, George Kirikos wrote:

>I've not seen this mentioned before, but they're now auctioning
>off .cc names. It had previously been noted that they were
>auctioning off .bz names.

News on this is available from CNet (via Yahoo), at
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cn/20020622/tc_cn/938379>.

VeriSign cleans up Web address auctions
Fri Jun 21, 8:11 PM ET

Paul Festa

VeriSign said Friday that it will clean up its domain name auctions
on eBay, some of which appear to have violated the Web address
registry's stated corporate policies.

[...]

When we created our arrangement with eBay, we set a policy not to
endorse or promote the sale of objectionable, inappropriate or
trademarked material," said VeriSign representative Brian
O'Shaughnessy. "The names of the nature that CNET pointed out are
against our policy, and that's why we're taking immediate steps to
remove them. We take full responsibility and are taking measure to
ensure that this does not happen again."

Unlike top-level domains such as .com, which are approved by the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, country-code
domains are not regulated, O'Shaughnessy said. As a result,
VeriSign is free to resell addresses with those endings.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/