[ga] Verisign now auctioning off dot-cc names on eBay

Hello,

I've not seen this mentioned before, but they're now auctioning off .cc
names. It had previously been noted that they were auctioning off .bz
names. See their store at:

http://www.ebaystores.com/id=47260199

Is this the future of dot-com?

Chuck Gomes had written at:

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc10/msg02298.html

"How does a consumer find the choices?  What will the consumer have to
pay if he/she is successful?  How easy is it?"

Well, I went to http://www.nic.cc, and typed in "games" and was told
that games.cc was already taken. Hmmm. Not finding a "back order this
domain" button, I looked for the WHOIS...

http://www.nic.cc/cgi-bin/whois?domain=games.cc

Domain Name: games.cc
Creation Date: 10-12-1997
Expiration Date: 10-12-2007

Not very much detail. If I wanted to buy the name, can't really contact
the current owner....

So, let's see if there's a webpage. I went to http://www.games.cc and
just see an under construction page -- there is an email to
"registrant@games.cc", though....perhaps someone will reply....

No link to the eBay auction, nada, which is at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2033366154

Only $25,000 opening bid! Who knows what the reserve is...

I'm glad that Verisign is out there protecting consumers from
speculators.... ;) Who are the real speculators out there, Chuck?

I think I'll keep my http://Games.org/ instead. :)

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/