Re: [ga] "The blueprint": New Reform Committee paper posted

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 08:46:31AM -0700, William X Walsh wrote:
> Friday, June 21, 2002, 8:42:06 AM, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> > It's worth noting that this is precisely the role of the GA that is
> > intended in the current bylaws.
>
> Rewriting history again, Kent?

Nope.  The model for the GA was the "irish proposal", which in turn was
based on the IETF, and I marked it well, because it wasn't my preferred
outcome -- my preferred outcome was the "at-large" constituency.

Note that "the IETF" as a whole doesn't exist as a formal organization,
and, except for perhaps an occasional straw poll at the plenary
meetings, never votes on anything.  This was the intended role of the
GA.

Note that the IETF is a singularly effective body.  Perhaps that is
because, unlike the GA, it does not have the "internet governance"
disease, and in fact fights it off vigorously whenever a localized
infection occurs.

--
Kent Crispin, Technical Systems Manager, ICANN            crispin@icann.org
"Be good, and you will be lonesome."  -- Mark Twain       kent@songbird.com