[ga] Re: WLS

Joe Sims wrote:

>Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>

> Mr. Sims,
>
> I believe you don't *want* to understand the problems the WLS raises.
>  In fact, I think you'd rather ignore them.   Which is basically what
> your email amounts to.  Why bother to send such messages.
>

>A better question would be why you (and a few others) bother to waste
>everyone's time and space with such trivial, non-substantive responses?

Substance?  OK.  How about this:

SnapNames and Verisign were originally two independent companies with
two differing business models.  Just as other domain registries exist
(NeuLevel, Afilias etc.), so do alternative "name winning" systems; see
http://www.namewinner.com as one example.  I hope this is clear enough
for you and that you can follow this train of thought [do let me know if
you need further clarification on any point, please].  Now, with the
proposed unification of services between SnapNames and Verisign, what
chance will the alternative "namewinning" schemas have in the face of
the Verisign Registry's WLS?  The answer, quite simply, is none.
 Clearly, the stifling of competition within a distinct, outgrowth,
domain-related service market in this instance is a fait accompli with
the implementation of the Verisign WLS.  The market will not be left to
decide who can compete best in this instance of a marketable service,
I'm sure you'll agree.  All of which begs the question of monopoly, the
very thing ICANN was mandated to break-up with respect to the
NetSol/Verisign original stranglehold on DNS TLD domain registration.

>take it you don't have anything useful to say.  In such circumstances, it
>might have been better to remain mute rather than demonstrate the point.

And give people like you the opportunity to claim public support from
the lack of antagonism?  I think not, Mr. Sims.

>Thanks to Ross Rader, Bret Fausett, Jamie Love, Elisabeth Porteneuve, John
>Berryhill, Gary Osbourne, Thomas Roessler and Chuck Gomes for trying to
>help me understand the rationale underlying the various positions that
>people have taken on this issue.

It's a wonder to me that these bright and articulae people could not
help you to see the obvious.  But then again, stifling free market
competition has become the new American way, hasn't it?

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
        Proud Canadian.