Re: [ga] WLS

>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:31:19 -0700
>From: Gary Osbourne <gro@direct.ca>
>Subject: Re: [ga] WLS

[...]
>I also find it surprising that ICANN, VeriSign,
>or anyone else involved in this practice, would
>leave themselves open to litigation by the prior
>holder of the domain name. Many of the examples
>of expired and re-registered names at, or
>following from, the above two links, were never
>meant to be dropped, many were registrar error,
>this wasn't just someone neglecting to pay a bill
>(for which I don't have much sympathy).

Agreeing with your comment, I would like to add that
I find it absolutely unbelievable that Verisign can
be the registry maintainer for .COM as well as being
a registrar. This seems to break each and every rule
of fairness due to the fact that they are the only
people with full access to the DotCom database.

Moreover, this puts them in a position, as you mention
of being open to litigation.
- The Internet can live with ICANN being shutdown because
they run out of funds when being sued - just get DoC to make
a new organisation or equivalent and off we go
- The Internet can live with individual registrars being sued
and closing down as they run out of funds. Clients would
just have to renew their domains with another registrar next
year.
- BUT the Internet can not live with Verisign running out
of cash because they are being sued. What would happen to
the DotCom registry database?

Indeed, what would happen if Verisign, the registry maintainer for
.COM, was forced into Chapter 11 ?

--
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, Ph.D. |--> Global Information Highway Limited
E-mail:<ocl@gih.com> | Tel:+44 (0)7956 84 1113 | Fax:+44 (0)20 7937 7666