Re: [ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

[...]
> >2. the applicant has a choice to have his/her details published in the
> >WHOIS database. ie. OPT IN/OPT OUT
>
> Preferably it defaults to OPT IN, that is, unless
> one explicitly opts in, one is OPTED OUT. One should
> not have to explicitly OPT OUT as that can too easily
> be made non-obvious.

Fine by me.

contactname@contactdomain.com "
> >(where this effectively provides the Postmaster's address at that domain)
>
> Sure, though one could reasonably infer a postmaster@ address
> or reasonably discover other *@ addresses. OTOH, are you
> suggesting that each domain must have a functional posmaster@
> address?

I thought that this was in an RFC? (can't remember which one)
Each domain needs a postmaster address, usually postmaster@yourdomain.com

Too many sites today don't even have that, or the postmaster account is not
even monitored anymore due to the abundance of SPAM e-mail received in
that account. What we are seeing is a chipping out of the rules of the DNS,
brick by brick. One day, the whole thing will collapse because too many
rules
will have been broken, and nobody was there to police them when needed.

ICANN's job should be to make sure those rules are adhered to, but alas, it
is being sidetracked by so many other things, including pretentions of
governance of the Internet, political issues and the like, that even basic
rules of the DNS & e-mail systems are left to die by themselves.

--
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, Ph.D. |--> Global Information Highway Limited
E-mail:<ocl@gih.com> | Tel:+44 (0)7956 84 1113 | Fax:+44 (0)20 7937 7666