Re: [ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

I generally agree with the following, with comments...

At 03:11 PM 19/06/02 +0100, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

>  Okay, so how about this for a possible solution:
>
>1. the proposed legislation still stands

As it is US only, fine by me. :)

>2. the applicant has a choice to have his/her details published in the
>WHOIS database. ie. OPT IN/OPT OUT

Preferably it defaults to OPT IN, that is, unless
one explicitly opts in, one is OPTED OUT. One should
not have to explicitly OPT OUT as that can too easily
be made non-obvious.

>3. When a whois enquiry is made on an unpublished domain listing,
>the information returned is of the type:
>"The owner of this domain has opted out of the WHOIS database.
>To contract the domain owner, please e-mail  contactname@contactdomain.com "
>(where this effectively provides the Postmaster's address at that domain)

Sure, though one could reasonably infer a postmaster@ address
or reasonably discover other *@ addresses. OTOH, are you
suggesting that each domain must have a functional posmaster@
address?

>4. law enforcement agencies have the right of access to the
>whole database

Agreed. And I'd even extend that to a UDRP panel.
OTOH, that doesn't grant much protection to those
opposing their own oppressive governments.

>5. the registrar maintaining the database has no rights to market the
>database
>itself to any third party, nor do they have the right to use the database
>for
>data mining, demographic data, promotional e-mails, etc.

Agreed, though again I'd allow for an OPT IN for such.

>6. Each domain needs to have a technical contact, which can be set to
>the domain name holder's phone number should they be okay with this,
>or with the registrar's phone number, who will pass the enquiry on
>accordingly, if required.

And/or the hosting co's info, if they are OK with this? Again,
that can normally be discoved through other means anyway. -g