Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:16:55 -0700
Subject: Re: [ga] WLS
From: Bret Fausett <fausett@lextext.com>
To: Joe Sims <jsims@JonesDay.com>, DNSO General Assembly <ga@dnso.org>
CC: "Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com>

Joe Sims wrote:
> But I get the impression that at least some people believe that there is more
> to the competitive concern than these point?  If that is right, could someone
> lay it out for me simply and clearly, so that even I can understand it?
> Thanks.

At present, registrars offer a variety of different services to allow their
customers the opportunity to register a domain name. These services, some of
which have been offered for a very long time, would be usurped by the WLS at
the registry level. Yes, the registrars would be allowed to offer WLS to
their customers, but some of the registrars would prefer to continue
offering their own, unique solutions.

Personally, I think the WLS offers a superior service for the vast majority
of end users, as only a registry-level service can takes the gamesmanship
out of the expiring domain grab. But the fact that some registrars, and
their customers, were occupying this space before Verisign complicates the
analysis.

This is a hard question. Where do you encourage innovation, at the
registry-level or the registrar-level, and/or how do you strike the balance
between rewarding registry innovation and registrar innovation? Snapnames
would say that I framed the question wrong; Verisign should be allowed to
offer new services subject only to a narrow review:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03669.html

The competitive concern that you're hearing though is that some services now
offered at the registrar-level would no longer be possible if the WLS were
implemented.

    -- Bret