Re: [ga] [fwd] Nominating Committee & at-large (from: roessler@does-not-exist.org)

On 17:27 06/06/02, Thomas Roessler said:
>If I'm strongly mistaken about what you folks think, please speak up now,
>so I can send a correction to the council. ;-)

Your report seems accurate in term of what I read too from the GA. But we
could build a real and serious proposition from that, since Dennis Jennings
and Joe Sims made the GA to represent the @large so far.

The easiest way IMHO to keep the @large notion effective and present would
be to have "@large members" elected to the NomCom by the local communities
- (ex.: one per GAC Member).

I nickname the NomCom "NomComgress" for three reasons :

1. to remind that the Reform Committee as expressed a question about its
size. Obviously the largest the size the closest we are from the true
@large population which is probably around 1500 individuals and corporate
and organization people. So we may have stability and reasonable
representativity without capture (either by external interest of by the BoD).

2. to permit at least some members of the NomCom to be elected. A two
levels direct election was partly the one of the ALSC. In the interest of
stability and representation of the different problems and solutions we
should have 50/50 election from Internet Participants gathered through
"netwide" types of concerns (the SOs) and Internet Participants gathered
through personal issues or geography (the @large).

3. to follow on Kent Crispin's logic which should be acceptable to BoD and
Staff. He says the NC is representative because it is elected, even if it
is by non representative groups.
jfc