Re: [ga] .ZA administrator says may be forced to shut the ccTLD down

Eric, Joe and all assembly members,

eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

>    Alrighty then allow me to unbunch me knickers,

Could you also fumigate them when you finished.  Oh yes, and wash
your hands very thoroughly also...  >;)

> Any good country administration of a cc should be available to explore
> and or implement more reliable sources of inter connectivity.

  Agreed.  In fact not doing so would be and incompetent oversight...

> Routing around IANA problems should be of paramount importance and
> security considerations.

  Also agreed as well.  And with the current and seeming increasing and
ongoing
DOS and virus attacks as well as other types of hacks, it would also be
incompetent to not do so if the situation would require or seemingly
require
it...

> ICANN rooted situational remedies should be but one weapon in an
> arsenal meant to provide a stable and usable internet and resource for
> any country.  Alternative methodology and inclusive allocations should
> also be a part of a realistic global strategy for any country.

  Can't argue with this logically or even technically in many instances
as well...

> I am hardly waiting for someone to press the point that ICANN
> standards are International standards within a WTO or USBTA
> agreement.  I believe the DoC will back off any such outlandish
> position and admit to a void in ISO.

  Well I am not sure that DOC will do so, but lets hope so, and it would
be
wise for them to do so as well...

> Thank you for your insistence on smelling the roses and reality of the
> unreal.

  Yes, smelling the roses, as you put it Eric, is preferable to smelling
the
dirty diapers of the IANA and ICANN in many, and increasing instances...

> Eric
>
> Joe Baptista wrote:
>

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020607/wr_nm/tech_internet_safrica_dc_1
>

> > On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 eric@hi-tek.com wrote:
> >
> > > Dear YJ,
> > >
> > > Don't even sink to WXWs silly level. Why are they called "Country"
> Codes.
> > >
> > > I know that people love to saintify Postel, but in fact he gave
> some of the ccTLDs to the wrong
> > > folk.
> > > They were designed and will always remain to be Country Codes and
> by and through that a Country
> > > Resource.
> >
> > well - lets not get our nickers in a twist here.
> >
> > now postel did not have the benefit of hindsight - not that
> hindsight has
> > any significance here.  all that happened was that postel needed a
> means
> > of assigning countries identifiable namespace - he choose the iso
> > designation and he gave the assignments to the people who where
> there and
> > were offering their services.  they rightfully belong to these
> people.
> > that is the nature of the dns.  the za administrator may do as he
> pleases.
> >
> > now the fact the south african government are about to make fools of
>
> > themselves on the international telecommunications stage is the
> fault of
> > the US dept of commerce who have kept these people ignorant of the
> fact
> > that they can run their own zone infrastructure and not only take
> control
> > of their namespace but also increase their national security through
> the
> > operation of a south african root server network.
> >
> > the australian aboriginals secure their own zones - i see no reason
> why
> > the south africans can't follow in the same path.
> >
> > and we all know the security implications of relying on insecure
> root
> > infrastructure - don't we?
> >
> > regards
> > joe baptista

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827