Re: [ga] .ZA administrator says may be forced to shut the ccTLD down

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020607/wr_nm/tech_internet_safrica_dc_1

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

> Dear YJ,
>
> Don't even sink to WXWs silly level. Why are they called "Country" Codes.
>
> I know that people love to saintify Postel, but in fact he gave some of the ccTLDs to the wrong
> folk.
> They were designed and will always remain to be Country Codes and by and through that a Country
> Resource.

well - lets not get our nickers in a twist here.

now postel did not have the benefit of hindsight - not that hindsight has
any significance here.  all that happened was that postel needed a means
of assigning countries identifiable namespace - he choose the iso
designation and he gave the assignments to the people who where there and
were offering their services.  they rightfully belong to these people.
that is the nature of the dns.  the za administrator may do as he pleases.

now the fact the south african government are about to make fools of
themselves on the international telecommunications stage is the fault of
the US dept of commerce who have kept these people ignorant of the fact
that they can run their own zone infrastructure and not only take control
of their namespace but also increase their national security through the
operation of a south african root server network.

the australian aboriginals secure their own zones - i see no reason why
the south africans can't follow in the same path.

and we all know the security implications of relying on insecure root
infrastructure - don't we?

regards
joe baptista