Re: [ga] .ZA administrator says may be forced to shut the ccTLD down

Dear YJ,

Don't even sink to WXWs silly level. Why are they called "Country" Codes.

I know that people love to saintify Postel, but in fact he gave some of the ccTLDs to the wrong folk.
They were designed and will always remain to be Country Codes and by and through that a Country Resource.

We all have a moral mandate to use ccTLDs to the benefit of the people within the geographic location of that ccTLD.  The fact some countries are corrupt in their government does not change the design.  Bill Herron helped design those ccTLDs and I would not disrespect him by allowing a wrongness in application.  Yes we both have suffered from the effects that the first internet was designed to monitor, the same that gave us both radiation poisoning.  Rings of ships and then ground rings with a need of inter connectivity around test atomic explosions gave rise to the genius of the internet.  The move from a ship to a CC was an act of the US Naval military.  DARPA and ARPA and even the NSA and their precursors had a hand in the benevolent giving and assignment of ccTLDs.

Those of us that have been deeply effected and physically damaged by the tests that gave rise to this phenomenon are insulted greatly by flippant comments by some who do not know the gravamen of the experiments that lead to their livelihood.  And it is true most of us are Americans.  While the Internet may indeed be a by-product and the nuclear proliferation a direct result, many of us view the by-product as a just sacrifice.

Please use all diligence to contribute to your ccTLD and act in accordance with your national integrity and International Standards.

Sincerely,
Eric

YJ Park wrote:

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020607/wr_nm/tech_internet_safrica_dc_1
>
> The government is seeking to nationalize the .ZA registry, over the
> objections of the administrator, who is saying that he may be forced
> to shut the ccTLD down if the law is passed.
>
> Someone tell me who the idiots were who made the governments believe
> they had any rights at all to manage the ccTLD namespaces themselves.

USG.

> This action by the South African government is even more stupid than
> the actions of the Australian government who did the same thing in the
> last year.

USG delegated the organization to manage .US with understanding
that they have rights to oversee it.

Australian government did the same thing with .AU.

Here comes S. Africa with .ZA.

And more governments are ready to take "stupid action" according to
your language referring to USG.

It is very difficult for the other governments to understand only USG
is the one who can manage the DNS with authority.

Thank you,
YJ