Re: [ga] Redelegation issues

> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 03:07:37 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Marc Schneiders <marc@fuchsia.bijt.net>
> Subject: Re: [ga] Redelegation issues
>
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, at 11:44 [=GMT-0400], Michael Froomkin - U.Miami
School...:

[...]

> > Thus, if a country wants to regulate its ccTLD, it may.  If it wants to
> > nationalize it, it may subject to international norms on
nationalizations.

> > But it can't *make* me do anything if I live abroad unless I choose to.
> >
> > Suppose country X tortures a ccTLD admin into agreeing to a
redelegation.
> > I think it might be perfectly appropriate to ignore that.
>
> Although I value your ideas and decisions, in this case it might be more
> interesting, especially for the immediate consequences, what the
> administrators of the following nameservers for ZA do:
>
> *za.                     2D IN NS        AUTH00.NS.UU.NET.
> za.                     2D IN NS        UCTHPX.UCT.AC.za.
> *za.                     2D IN NS        MUNNARI.OZ.AU.
> *za.                     2D IN NS        NS.EU.NET.
> *za.                     2D IN NS        FLAG.EP.NET.
> *za.                     2D IN NS        RAIN.PSG.COM.
> za.                     2D IN NS        APIES.FRD.AC.za.
> za.                     2D IN NS        HIPPO.RU.AC.za.
>
> Those marked * (5 out of 8) are not even _near_ South Africa...

[...]

> So, what should be our position, and more importantly, of those that run
> the above mentioned servers, and the root zone (ICANN, USG)?

I think there is a misunderstanding about the DNS here.
ICANN specifies the root servers for each country TLD.

If ICANN specified a root server for the ZA zone that was not run by
Mike Lawrie's organization, the above secondary servers would *not*
appear in the government-run root DNS server for ZA. In other words,
what the owners of the above servers do will have no incidence on the
ZA domain. At most, there will be a period of a few hours, a couple
of days at most, when the network's DNS will be unstable, but that's
all.

I believe that Mike's point is that his organization has forged links
with a number of other organizations that are extremely well distributed
around the globe, thus making the ZA TLD as stable as can be. This may
not be the case if the ZA government takes over.

For information about the background and birth of the Internet in South
Africa, I suggest people read the info on the Network Startup Resource
Center:

http://www.nsrc.org/db/lookup/ISO=ZA

Cheers,

--
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, Ph.D. |--> Global Information Highway Limited
E-mail:<ocl@gih.com> | Tel:+44 (0)7956 84 1113 | Fax:+44 (0)20 7937 7666