Re: [ga] The Real World

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 06:25:32PM +0200, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 May 2002, at 23:15 [=GMT-0400], Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
> > > ... Don't mistake us. WE are users.
> >
> > A small but important part of the users, sure.
>
> Sorry, that is utter nonsense.

That depends. If 'users' means domain owners, Kent is correct. If
'users' means people who use the Internet, Marc is.

> *Most* domain names are registered for business purposes. ...
> Domains registered by individuals for purposes other than
> business are a *very* tiny minority of the domains registered,

Yes.

> and in this regard the GA is completely non-representative.

That does not seem to follow. I don't think the GA is particularly
representative, but I cannot accept your assertion here without
evidence.

> *Any* representation scheme that gave equal weight to the various users
> of the domain name system would end up with business getting an
> overwhelming majority of the votes.
>
> [...]

Again, correct if 'users of he domain name system' means registrants.

However, ICANN is incorporated as a 'public benefit' corporation, so
its main concern should be the public, users at large, ...

As I see it, there are three major interest groups: the public, (users
at large) interest, the businesses of Internet infrastructure (ISPs,
registries, registrars, root server operators, ...) and the business
users.

When a conflict of interest arises -- as they inevitably will to
some extent -- between those, ICANN must always put the public
interest first.