From: Marc Schneiders [mailto:marc@fuchsia.bijt.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:46 PM
To: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA
Cc: ga@DNSO.org
Subject: RE: [ga] The Real World

On Wed, 22 May 2002, at 21:51 [=GMT-0400], Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:

> Industry says, no. Thank you, but no. We will continue to evolve ICANN and
> welcome the support of governments [or multilateral organizations/treaty organizations]
> to private sector leadership.  We urge governments to work to support ICANN; to participate
> in GAC. To lend support to ICANN's activities. NOT to compete, and not to seek to
> take on functions which belong to ICANN.

ICANN manages a cartel of registries and registrars. The market cannot
decide therefore. Voting with $$ is impossible. Well, not absolutely
impossible. An alternative root is possible, naturally. But it is very
hard, and hardly what the industry would like.

The industry should therefore recognize that it cannot ignore its
customers, despite the fact that it has a monopoly.

On a more principal level: The Internet is different from other networks,
like cable television. It is not merely about suppliers and consumers. It
is also that, but at the same time it functions like the telephone
network, where the users make the content, not companies. Email is the
killer application. Despite all spam mainly a user to user tool.

So put users into your picture. Give them votes like you have votes. Like
it was meant to be, half of the votes on the Board of ICANN.