RE: [ga] The Real World

Dear all

As is well known, I am one of the representatives of the business constituency,  I also work
within a company who is a major stakeholder in the Internet, wearing the hat of an ISP,
a business user, a web hoster, a famous ;' and well known brand holder, and acting as an
intermediary for several thousand businesses who have build web sites on the Internet.

This post is as an individual:  BUT, I am the rapporteur in the BC on this issue and I believe that
business users are fully committed to the Evolution and Reform Process which ICANN announced.

Did we agree with all the initial solutions proposed?    No.
Did we agree with the list of issues to be addressed.Yes, largely.
Are we willing and committed to evolution?  YES.
Are we committed to ICANN's success? YES.

It is easy to throw stones. Better, harder, and more important to work to be part of a
process to ensure private sector  leadership in the issues and responsibilities ICANN manages.

I believe that you could say that the business users have taken sides as well. That is the side of
evolving, improving and stabilizing ICANN.

Recently,  a multi lateral organization has raised its hand and said something like: what about me?
I can do it better.Or cheaper. Or more like governments like it...  I have seen many postings from
industry sectors who object to any efforts by governments or multi lateral organizations to encroach
into the Internet via attempting to assume some of ICANN's functions.

Industry says, no. Thank you, but no. We will continue to evolve ICANN and
welcome the support of governments [or multilateral organizations/treaty organizations]
to private sector leadership.  We urge governments to work to support ICANN; to participate
in GAC. To lend support to ICANN's activities. NOT to compete, and not to seek to
take on functions which belong to ICANN.

On Evolution and Reform:

Will this be easy? No
Will it continue to be a bit noisy? Yes.
It is perfect? No....
Will everyone be satisfied?Not likely.
Is it worth it? Yes

Regards,

Marilyn Cade
Posting as an individual business constituency member and elected representative, on my own personal views