Re: [ga] Byfield comments

At 01:16 23/05/02, Joe Sims wrote:
>How convenient it must be to be able to sit on the sidelines and carp at
>the people trying to do the work, and then refuse to offer alternatives
>because they might not be accepted.  It's the ICANN version of "its my
>ball, so we will either do it my way  or I'll take my ball and go home."
>And yet you still seem to sincerely wonder why you have little influence?
>Self-delusion is a powerful force.

Let me be fair. I enough said that Joe thought data were traveling faster
on yellow pad flies than in datagrams, and that he was worth a terrorist as
far as the nets were concerned, to acknowledge his gallant move to come in
the GA and debate. Let me try to respond in a positive way his courteous
effort and to be a nice guest. I will accept he is true when he says he
asks for ideas. Why would he be here otherwise. Actually we should be honored.

Joe,
you are involved in the ICANN stuff for years and I fully understand that
you see it from inside. Now, let you try to see from outside, as the users,
the Govs, the press, as us we see it. To help you I will ask you the two
questions I asked to many and that several - and not the least ones - have
responded ... in most of the cases privately, but then quite frankly. I do
not ask you to respond publicly. Just to think of it. And then I will ask
you a third question, one just because it is you, the only known permanent
"Member" of the ICANN (no offense intended, but you know it and influence
it so much...).

Q1. what has - in your opinion - the ICANN positively brought to the
Internet? If you can list something(s), start from it and you should be
able to get some good objectives.

Q2. what would really happen to the Internet - in your opinion - if the
ICANN contract was not renewed? This should help you to determine what is
not necessary in the ICANN.

IMHO you want too much structure everything. Just get real and start from
that. Obviously this is a suggestion by an adversary, but I think you would
be better off... Unless you read French (I made an interesting study - at
least they say - on the best French and European interests vs ICANN).

The third question is more personal. You have spend a few years of your
life quite involved in the ICANN. This is your baby. This made you to share
in a lot of things and - IMHO - to be responsible of real mistakes (but I
accept that I do not know enough details and you never came and explain
clearly and simply what you think, so I may be totally wrong). Most
probably it made you to share or to be proud of real achievements or hopes.
Now, would you die 5 minutes from now, what would you be proud of as far as
the ICANN is concerned? If there is one single thing, don't mind what
people say, me  included, full speed ahead and build on it! But if there is
nothing, just close the shop and find a better customer: that one is not
going to survive very long.

Cordially. jfc

---