Pro Deo gratification (Re: [ga] Byfield comments)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, at 19:16 [=GMT-0400], Joe Sims wrote:

> How convenient it must be to be able to sit on the sidelines and carp at
> the people trying to do the work, and then refuse to offer alternatives
> because they might not be accepted.

Professor Michael Froomkin pointed out in a clear way, that, unlike you,
the people you are blaming here, are volunteers, who have to do the things
you ask of them in their spare time, and pro Deo. Ted Byfield made a
similar point. It may be hard to imagine for a lawyer, but knowing that
chances of success to 'win' are small indeed does stop volunteers (not
remunerated by the hour, but by the gratification of results) in their
leisure efforts. They decide to work a bit in the garden, to hug their
children more often, or to put their energy in another organization to
keep the internet stable, open and free.

> It's the ICANN version of "its my
> ball, so we will either do it my way  or I'll take my ball and go home."

Oh, I was very much under the impression, that ICANN thought it owned the
ball, can change the rules, and set the schedules, tightly if that is
convenient. How often did you change the bylaws? How long did we have to
have our say on the Verisign deal?

> And yet you still seem to sincerely wonder why you have little influence?
> Self-delusion is a powerful force.

I prefer to call it imagination. Indeed powerful.

Don't imagine that anyone is going to legitimize your coup d'etat by
participating in the bottom-up farce ICANN is organizing.

--
Marc@Schneiders.ORG