Re: [ga] WLS Conference Call

On 2002-05-21 16:24:22 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>If only that were true.  Sadly, what will pass for the "consensus
>process" will transpire within a few days.

Nonsense.

The transfer task force is, at this point, at the very first steps
of its comprehensive review of deleted domain name issues, with a
focus on WLS.  If you want to put it like that, what we have been
participating in yesterday is a "problem-finding" mission:
Identifying the problems, and identifying possible solutions.  (With
an emphasis on _possible_.)

Despite the possibly unfortunate wording in the terms of reference
(for which I may have to take some blame), what emanates from this
is certainly not a policy recommendation, or even a consensus
policy.  (The latter is already impossible by definition.)

Rather, what we'll hopefully end up with after this week is a
somewhat clearer understanding of the implications of the WLS
proposal, and of the side-effects it would have on competition
between registrars, on intellectual property (think about the UDRP
clause in the revised proposal - that part is not a red herring!),
on other existing businesses, and whatever else people will come up
with.  We'll, I hope, also have a clearer understanding of what
policy-making should be undertaken next in order to mitigate some of
the (of course unintended - after all, WLS is supposed to foster
competition according to its proponent!) ill side-effects.

That policy-making would then have to be handled by whatever body is
appropriate; currently, that's of course the DNSO.

Examples include (1) the interaction with the UDRP which may or may
not have been handled sufficiently in the proposal, (2) the
interaction with a uniform deletion policy.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/