Re: [ga] WLS Conference Call

George writes:  "I figure that consensus process would take 3 to 6 months,
and not come out in favour of WLS in any event."

If only that were true.  Sadly, what will pass for the "consensus process"
will transpire within a few days.

The Transfers TF will hold one more teleconference tomorrow, and will then
undertake a "comprehensive review" that will last all of two days.  It will
then post a recommendation this Friday 24 May.   The public will be given ten
days (until June 4) to respond to this "recommendation".  The TF will then
spend only part of one day analyzing the public response and will then submit
its recommendation to the Names Council that same day.  Two days later the
Council will meet and rubber-stamp the recommendation so that it can be
submitted to the Board.

This is not due diligence.  This is not a "fair" process.  This is shoddiness
elevated to new heights, and this is flagrantly in violation of our own
bylaws, which state:

Following the receipt of a report or recommendation from such a body, the NC
may accept the report or recommendation for submission to the Constituencies
for comment and consultation, or return the report or recommendation to the
body from which it originated for further work. After the report or
recommendation is submitted to the Constituencies and the comment period for
the Constituencies has expired, the NC shall evaluate the comments to
determine whether there is a basis for a consensus recommendation to the
Board.

The NC is not supposed to be voting upon any recommendation put forth by any
task force until after the "Constituency Comment Period" expires (which is
not synonymous with the public comment period).  Instead what we will see
will be a violation of the bylaws (again) in the rush to force through a
recommendation in order to meet an arbitrary deadline.

Our bylaws also state that:  The NC is responsible for ensuring that all
responsible views have been heard and considered prior to a decision by the
NC.

Registrars are an affected party in this matter.  Has the task force
solicited the views of all registrars, or only those that pay to be members
of the registrars constituency?  Has the Task Force solicited the views of
any registrant organizations?   Are registrants represented on the Task
Force?  If so, who is their representative?  Have the views of all current
WLS providers been heard?  If so, where are their comments posted?  Other
registries will be impacted by whatever recommendation comes forth (as what
affects .com and .net will eventually affect the other TLDs at a later date).
 Where is the record of the responsible views of the other registries?

I don't really care if everyone on this list (or on the TF) is a member of
the I-Hate-VeriSign-Club.  We have an obligation to "fairness" which should
take priority over our personal views, and "fairness" calls for proper
procedures to be followed.  The Task Force timetable does not allow for due
diligence, and the legitimacy of the entire process is called into question
when certain members of the community are not represented in the
policy-formulating bodies.

Finally, all responsible views are not heard by the NC when Task Force
representatives themselves fail to forward all relevant comments made by
those that they represent to the Task Force for evaluation.  How many
comments by George, Brett, William, myself or others have been forwarded to
the TF by the GA rep?  None so far.