[ga] WLS Conference Call

Hi folks,

It was nice to hear some of you today at the WLS conference call. My
own statement is at:

http://www.loffs.com/wls/

for anyone who might have missed the call (I gave the URL
www.intangibles.com during the call, but will take it down from there
in a few days), although I deviated from my statement a few times.
Transcripts were taken, so everyone can read those when they are ready.

In summary, Verisign saw absolutely *no* support from participants of
the call, and some extremely strong opposition. I was particularly
pleased to see that Dotster (who runs NameWinner) intends to take legal
action, in the unlikely scenario that WLS is approved, to block it. I
applaud them, and would support their effort. Nice to hear from Paul
Stahura, Thomas, the two Dans, Rick Wesson, Loren, Jeff, Danny,
Marilyn, and others too. :)

Near the end of the call, I asked Chuck Gomes the simple question
"Under what conditions would Verisign pull the proposal from the table,
given the huge opposition to it." He had no answer. Maybe Verisign
never imagines a scenario where they can't get their way. I look
forward to tomorrow's call, to see if he has an answer then.

My prediction is that given the overwhelming opposition displayed ICANN
will decide to invoke the formal consensus process for this proposal.
Hopefully other related issues, such as a Uniform Deletions Policy, and
better WHOIS information, will be addressed at that time. Assuming
Verisign doesn't sue ICANN, I figure that consensus process would take
3 to 6 months, and not come out in favour of WLS in any event.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/