Re: [ga] Registrants unrepresented

Monday, May 20, 2002, 8:19:14 PM, Bret Fausett wrote:

> Jamie,

> I'd be curious to know more about why it took so long. I recently
> transferred two domain names myself. One from Verisign, one from another
> registrar. Both were complete in less than five days. I don't think I had
> any special skill that was brought to bear in accomplishing this. Was my
> case unusual or was yours?

I wouldn't say that either are unusual, both are pretty normal right
now actually.

While many transfers happen flawlessly, many also end up getting
complicated, either by design or happenstance, I can't say, but it
happens often enough that I can't help but lay some blame at
Verisign's feet.

Verisign's requiring an extra step for outbound transfers to
registrars who won't sell their souls and sign a confidential
agreement with Verisign that I can't see any registrar feeling
comfortable signing, requires that the registrant also confirm their
intention with Versign, within the 5 day period given to registrars to
block a transfer to another registrar.

The problem is that many times this message is not sent in a timely
fashion, despite Verisign's assurances otherwise.  I have seen far to
many cases of those emails being sent in the last hours of the window,
or even after the window, or, because Verisign is still using a
backwards email only method (which again, I think is an intentional
design flaw to make transfers more difficult), the email ACKs end up
in a queue that may result in the ACK not being processed until after
the window has closed.

And then there are cases where the emails are never received by the
registrant, and not because their email addresses are bad or not
working.

Now, Verisign could eliminate this and do things like nearly EVERY
other registrar, and in the email asking for approval or denial of the
transfer include a URL where the registrant goes to enter in their
acceptance or denial of the transfer, and thus eliminate the issues
inherent in any queued email processing system, which has always been
a real bane in the Network Solutions/Verisign registrar system.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>