[ga] NC BS

Jamie Love raises a key question about defining stakeholders.
And Jonathan Weinberg has provided a good insight into the divisive nature of individual involvement.

Let me propose a few starting points.

1. "Stakeholders in ICANN policy development" means those directly impacted by ICANN policies.
2. Stakeholders in the Internet per se are a different group.
3. The impact of ICANN policy on e.g. Verisign, is of a different order to the impact of ICANN policy on my non-PC owning Aunt Agatha.

Conclusion:
- there need to be different levels of involvement in ICANN policy development.

If you accept the above conclusion, lets review 1) by reference to the existing DNSO constituencies:
gTLD registries, ccTLD registries, registrars, ISPs - ICANN policies impact on their business contracts. They are stakeholders.
Business, Intellectual property interests, non-commercial organisation users - ICANN policies impact on the confidence of themselves and their customers/members to use the internet for e-commerce or non-commercial purpose (UDRP, Who Is, domain name availability, security, stability). They are stakeholders.

Individual registrants - like all consumers -  may be indirectly impacted by ICANN policies. Is each individual a true stakeholder in the same sense ? I do not know but their collective interests are clearly valid.  In the non-ICANN world the voice of consumers in policy development is typically heard via consumer organisations. Such organisations exist at national and regional (eg EU) level. This is the format of involvement of registrants as consumers that the NC envisages in recommendation 19.

The rest of the world including my Aunt Agatha who choose not to seek involvement in one of these intermediary groups of stakeholders, should be offered the opportunity of consultation.

Philip