Re: [ga] NC BS

At 10:20 a.m. 17/05/2002 +0200, Philip Sheppard wrote:

>Individual registrants - like all consumers -  may be indirectly impacted
>by ICANN policies. Is each individual a true stakeholder in the same sense ?

Philip,

First of all, Individual Domain Name registrants are much more than
"consumers". They are also producers of content, directly related to their
Domain and this is the area where ICANN policies can affect hem directly.

Second: registrants (individual, non-commercial or corporate) are the
entities who provide the cash for this whole industry, first of all to the
TLD registries, then down to the whole multilevel structure of registrars,
affiliates and resellers , with the growing ICANN governance
bureacracy  leeching off this industry and protecting it.

>I do not know but their collective interests are clearly valid.

What has brought individuals into the GA, the IDNO and the At Large is not
some vague collective interest but a highly personal interest in a NAME, an
identifier of themselves or their on-line business.

>  In the non-ICANN world the voice of consumers in policy development is
> typically heard via consumer organisations. Such organisations exist at
> national and regional (eg EU) level. This is the format of involvement of
> registrants as consumers that the NC envisages in recommendation 19.

See above. DN registrants are not consumers of Domains, they are holders of
certain rights that must be respected.

>The rest of the world including my Aunt Agatha who choose not to seek
>involvement in one of these intermediary groups of stakeholders, should be
>offered the opportunity of consultation.

If we speak about the GA and the DNSO, "the rest of the world" is what the
At Large is about. Here it is a distraction.

--Joop