Re: [ga] Time line for a vote; procedures.

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> I would suggest that the ballot should be opened for several possible
> resolutions on the topic of reform and a possible re-bid of ICANN
> functions, plus the option not to accept any of the resolutions.  For
> the evaluation of the vote, there are two possibilities (which only
> differ if there is more than one resolution on the table):  (1) one vote
> per member; a resolution which has more than 50% of the votes is
> accepted [note that there can be at most one such resolution], (2)
> preferential voting like what we are using for person elections, with
> the top resolution being deemed to be accepted.  (Please comment.)

	Neither of these, I'd suggest.  The problem with (1) is that if
two or more of the resolutions on the ballot are essentially similar, they
may split the vote so that neither gets a majority, even though a
substantial majority of the body in fact favors at least one of them.
The problem with (2) is that the IRV system we use for candidate elections
is designed with the goal of producing a winner in every election.
That's not good for this sort of issue poll, since it may be we are so
fragmented that there is *no* position that a majority supports -- in that
case, there should be no winner.  My suggestion:  Allow members to vote
yes/no on *each* resolution, and then see if any of the resolutions
capture a substantial majority of those voting.

Jon