Re: [ga] Re: Text of the motion...

On Fri, 03 May 2002 13:39:58 -0400, Jonathan Weinberg
<weinberg@mail.msen.com> wrote:

>         1. I agree with Jamie's proposal.  We don't know, at this point,
>what sort of structure a rebid might generate.  But I believe that a rebid
>is more likely to generate a good structure than is the Committee on ICANN
>Evolution and Reform.  The issue presented by the proposal is not what
>ICANN's new structure should be, but rather which *forum* should be
>deciding how to address ICANN's self-acknowledged crisis.  I trust the
>rebid process to generate a workable structure much more than I trust the
>Board.

This is also a pretty good summary of my views.  Despite the efforts
of Thomas and other members of the Names Council I have absolutely no
confidence that the Board will adopt any progressive reforms that
weren't planned by the staff anyway.

David Farber et all in their call of several weeks ago correctly
stated that the culture and history of ICANN means it will never be
able to win the trust of the internet community. However a replacement
body could if not captured by a few insiders.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527