Re: [ga] Time to regulate the Re-Sellers

On 2002-04-09 14:57:14 -0400, Chuck Gomes wrote:

>Therefore, I agree with Michael that the "appropriate place to
>complain is the regulatory authorities in the home of the
>offender" and not ICANN.

Apart of that, it is, of course, also legitimate to complain to the
offenders themselves, and to the public.  (And, in fact, one would
hope that it would not be necessary to resort to regulatory
authorities at all, at least as far as core members of the ICANN
community are concerned.)

After all, one could still hope that certain registrars and their
resellers may finally come to reason, and understand that the best
marketing you can get is a reputation for good customer service, and
for being worth customers' trust.

On the other hand, practices like: sending out bills when the domain
has already been renewed, putting customers on hold for ten minutes
on international phone calls prompted by such wrong bills, spamming
customers of other registrars when their domain is due for renewal
(possibly deceiving them), hoarding domains, and whatever else some
registrars may come up with, - such practices have two effects: They
cause collateral damage to the collective image of the registrars'
and resellers' communities, and they can destroy any trust customers
may still have had into their current suppliers, if these suppliers
are engaging in such practices.

As a corollary, they cause an increasing willingness even with "kind
of satisfied" customers to change suppliers.  This may (I hope!), in
the long term, have the effect that competition gives certain
registrars the necessary incentive to play by the rules.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/