Re: [ga] Re: Request for a Working Group

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
To: <DannyYounger@cs.com>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 3:24 PM
Subject: [ga] Re: Request for a Working Group

> Oh come on.  ICANN's restructuring plan bears no relation to the white
> paper or the MOU.  Everything is on the table, up for grabs.
>
> Let's do it right.
>
> I see a very very light ICANN, focused on minimal technical criteria.  The
> issues of consumer law and the like belong where they are dealt with by
> trained professionals.
>
> I don't think the US should set world consumer law.  Nor should ICANN.
>
> My ideal ICANN would have so few 'policy' duties that we would agree
> collectively that elections were not worth the trouble....

With respect to selecting new TLDs, it would be a
mechanical process if done correctly.

1. Someone applies for a new TLD.

2. ICANN checks to make sure that the applicant
    was the first to claim the TLD and use it in business and commerce.

3. ICANN checks to see if they have at least
    two servers with SOA for the TLD

4. ICANN places the records into the root zone file.

That is ALL they should be doing for TLD selections.
There is no room for deciding anything, in this case.
In other duties, perhaps a bit more discretion will be involved.