Re: [ga] Motion for a vote of no confidence in the Board

On 2002-03-19 12:28:48 -0800, Mike Roberts wrote:

>Yes, indeed.  One of the first tenets of management is, "tell me
>your solutions, not your problems."

Still, stating the problem the right way is, sometimes, half of the
solution.  I'll give it a try.

Let's, for a moment, assume that - whatever structure one may come
up with for policy-making (which is interesting by itself) - we'll
ultimately have a board which can, in reality, ignore input from the
policy-making process if it believes that this is the best thing for
the corporation.

How can such a board be controlled?  What kind of feed-back can be
provided to such a board?  There is no market which can operate as a
feed-back channel, like in the case of a normal business.  Thus,
external feed-back channels have to be added.  The single largest
problem with the Lynn proposal is that it _eliminates_ such
channels; even more so if even the governmental appointees have to
go through the NomComm filter.  All feed-back channels which are
left over can be ignored by the board.

The problem we should try to address is what such channels should
look like: How can the public provide feed-back to ICANN which (1)
can't be ignored (like an ombudsman who gives non-binding
recommendations), and (2) does not have a possible breakdown of
Internet stability as its side-effect (like the introduction of
competing roots on the sides of AOL and Microsoft)?

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/