Re: [ga] Substance over rhetoric - a constructive challenge

Dear Kristy,
may be the real reason why the ICANN does not release the @large list is to
be found somewhere else. From what I gather election.com came across their
worst nightmare ever with their 50% discounted 2000 @large election. The
information provided by the ICANN was a mess and they - say the hearsay -
never addressed properly the requests from election.com.

1. as we have no reason to suspect that the Staff is not serious, we may
deduct that the lists are beyond recovery and that releasing them would
create a bigger scandal than not to release them. This may come from the
unexpected number of @large registrations they did not addressed properly.

2. it is unlikely that election.com would accept to discount anything to
the ICANN, doubling the budget planned by the Staff.

3. it is likely that the exposure given by Lynn's scheme to the ICANN and
to the possible @large election would lead to far more than the ALSC 5.000
target. If you fear 150.000 again at $1 for election.com and may-be at
$1.5/$ 2 for collection, mailing and management, this is a too large a cost.

In that perspective, what I suggest from the begining seems to be
expectable. That everyone registered on one of the ICANN gouvernance
mailing lists (ASO - PSO, ISOC, W3C, PSO, GA, ALSC) make the @large. This
is Esther's initiative: 600 to 2000 people on Joop's list. This permits the
BoD to decide in Shangai to use this list for a quick election:
- no commitment on future yet a real election
- no risk of vote capture
- no identification needed
- no protestation - those who could protest would vote
- anough balancing between activits and techies
- a very short campaign preventing mad schemes to develop
- a continuation for the board squatters

An easier solution would even be a statu quo referendum for consensus by
Joop's list.

It is also a good reason why my proposition to seriously structure the
@large on a Local Internet Community basis is dangerous. This would give
real weight to the @large, to the ccTLDs and to the Govs (together with the
ccTLDs). Today the game is to make believe the Govs could support the
ICANN. If they were supportingthei @large, it would kill the scheme.

Jefsey