RE: [ga] Re: Discussion Draft -- ICANN Reorganization

David,
FWIW, I think you have made absolutely the right decision, but I would not
be so sure that ICANN is willing to grant free reign to governments over
selection of Board members. If Vint Cerf's response on another thread is to
be believed, "The idea is to find the best candidates filling a variety of
criteria - geographic dispersion, board experience, Internet awareness, fund
raising ability, appreciation for the wide range of interests and opinions
among the Internet's constituents, etc." If so, candidates will be selected
from those with experience of large private corporate sector directorships,
with favor being shown for those with $5million p.a. political lobbying
budgets.

If we add to that, Esther Dyson's statement at Accra for an At Large that is
"Issue" based, rather than geographically based, and we factor in the
undeniable problem of giving less than friendly world governments equitable
power with the US and its allies over internet governance, one can very
easily arrive at the conclusion that we are heading for a world run by
Corporations, where Governments do not even exist.

Perhaps now would be a good time to order a copy of "Rollerball" from your
local video store.

Regards,
Joanna