[ga] DNSo Structure Taskforce Conference Call

The DNSO Structure Taskforce has just completed a 90 minute conference
call.  Official minutes will come out but for now here are some quick
notes:

A face to face meeting of the Taskforce will meet in Accra on Sunday
from around 4.30 - 6.00.  I will not be in Accra but the TF agreed
that either Thomas or Alexander (GA Chairs) would be fine as
substitutes (I will liaise directly to arrange)

It was reported that Stuart Lynn will be attending all constituency
meetings to discuss his proposal.  The TF also keen to meet with him
or Sims or Touton.  I suggest the GA also try to arrange for him to
attend the GA meeting.

It was agreed that the TF would ask the Names Council to agree to the
TF to consider the Lynn proposal as it fits within existing terms of
reference.

Some TF members commented that the Lynn report correctly identified
some of the largest problems or issues facing ICANN but that the
answers may not be structural change let alone the ones Lynn proposes.
Areas seen to be issues are:

- funding
- no root server contracts
- no significant progress with cctlds
- how at large board members elected

Discussion was held on whether to finalise TF report on ALSC or delay
it to consider Lynn proposal as part of overall mix.  To some degree
depends on whether Board intends to vote on acceptance or otherwise of
ALSC report at Accra.

It was reported that informal contact with the Board indicated a split
on whether to vote on ALSC report or not.

Most discussion was on process but a quick round of comments was
solicited on reaction to the Lynn proposal.  I reported that the GA to
date had only really had negative posts on the report and in response
to a request for specifics highlighted the inclusion of governments on
the Board and abolishing elections and representation for users as
particular negatives.

The issue of funding of ICANN is a big issue for the gtlds and some
other constituencies.

In terms of time frames it is hoped to have a draft report for the
Names Council for its mid April meeting.  Was agreed there is a need
to respond within weeks not months.

The Lynn paper has a number of aspects to it.  Most are IMO negative
but some such as abolishing DNSO constituencies in favour of self
organising forums have some appeal.  I will try and distill out a
dozen or so key aspects and work with the GA Chair towards getting a
formal GA position on them (probably through a vote of some sort).

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527